Scientific Question Template
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is a proposed template for open scientific questions. Feel free to suggest additions/modifications.
Clarifying the question[edit | edit source]
- Non-goals for the question (that is, questions that we’re not asking)
- Try to give examples or relevant background information
Status of Question[edit | edit source]
- What stage are we in? Lit review? Do we have any running experiments?
Clarifying the assumptions this question makes[edit | edit source]
Relevant Research[edit | edit source]
- Directly related research
- Possibly related research
- If it’s unclear if/how a certain body of research is relevant, we can start a new question of the form “is research about x relevant to question y”
- We should put only brief summaries of each body of relevant research in the main question page so that the page doesn’t get too long. But if there is a lot to write about a certain type of research, we could break that out into it’s own page and link to it from the summary.
- Each section here should include why we think the research is relevant to the top level question.
- Each section here should link to the relevant mendeley folder
- Each section may call out direct connections to other sections, but shouldn’t speculate on possible connections (that should be done in the Possible answers section)
- This section shouldn’t be doing any analysis beyond what’s needed to explain why an area of research is relevant
Relevant discussion[edit | edit source]
- Put any non-scientific discussion on the topic here that may be relevant
Possible answers to the question[edit | edit source]
- This section is speculative. As such, it can reference sections on relevant research, or not (if the speculated answer doesn’t have any relevant research).
- Proposed answers can combine/synthesize very different areas of research
- This section can also draw from non-scientific discussion from either the discussion page, or outside websites.
Possible studies/experiments to decide between the possible answers[edit | edit source]
Tasks to be completed[edit | edit source]
People/organizations who may have relevant knowledge[edit | edit source]
Relevant popular culture (sometimes old stories and fables contain helpful hints)[edit | edit source]
Related questions[edit | edit source]
- Can list related questions here and even make brief comments on them. But any significant work done on a related question should be taken into it's own page and linked to here.